Dear Friends,
One year. It’s hard to believe that I have completed my first year in the Dominican Republic. What a ride it has been! It has been amazing to be able to share this experience with you. What a gift to have such wonderful people around me to lift me up and support me. Thank you.
Doulos Discovery School. Moving here in July I really had no idea what to expect, other than what I read about on paper. I’ve come to realize just what a special and unique school this is. It’s been amazing to watch and experience students from different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds interact. And not only interact, but share and celebrate their cultures and traditions with each other. Just last night, we had a Talent Show where many students presented traditional dances from each country – and these kids can dance! However, what I have enjoyed most of all throughout the year is having the servant heart of Christ as the center of it all. Doulos is Greek for bondservant - someone who has been set free but chooses to remain and serve. It is a beautiful thing to watch this lived out daily. I struggle to actually put this into words. So you should really just come and experience it for yourself!
Young Life has also been an amazing experience. I have been challenged in some hard ways leading a team as I adjusted to a new culture. However, the Lord is faithful and I feel blessed by the challenges I faced. He has molded my heart and stretched me to make me stronger in Him. I came in knowing the ministry of Young Life very well, but never experiencing the Dominican culture. It turns out kids are kids! Who knew?! I love teenagers! They make me laugh. My friend, Rebekah, can sing the Haiti version of “We Are the World” in all the voices of the twenty-plus singers as we are driving around Jarabacoa. It’s awesome. And hilarious. She and I are hoping to begin a bible study together over the summer and into the fall. You can continue to pray for our time together. It’s amazing to watch the Lord break down barriers and begin to form real and trust-filled relationships.
Thank you so much for making this year possible. I can say in all honesty that it simply wouldn’t be possible for me to be here without your support. Financially, I am one hundred percent supported by you. Prayerfully, you have given me the strength to make it through the hard times and experience the sweetness of brokenness. Thank you just doesn’t seem enough.
Much love and peace,
Sara