My Story...

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will be spending the next two years in the Dominican Republic and am excited to use this space to share news with you. God has placed a calling on my heart to venture out and teach in the mountains of the Dominican Republic at Doulos Discovery School. I will also be working with an outreach ministry, called Young Life. Please take some time to check out the links for both of these organizations. Thank you so much for partnering with me on this adventure!

8.16.2011

Year Two

“So then, anyone who hears these words of mine and obeys them is like a wise man who built his house on rock. The rain poured down, the rivers flooded over, and the wind blew hard against that house. But it did not fall, because it was built on rock.” Matthew 7:24-25

I flew back to the DR on a Saturday and these were the words shared at church the next morning. I was filled with hope for the coming of my second year here. Reflecting back on the past year, I can truly see the value of the challenges I faced (and still do), yet rejoice in the foundation I have in our Lord. His strength is beyond compare.

The summer went by in a whirlwind – precious time with family and friends, 

Bywaters and sweet Anna



Jackson!
Cannon!
parents moving, an ESL conference, games of Antelope, the final Harry Potter… and suddenly I was packing to return. It is always hard to leave, but so good to be back in the DR. I returned to my own apartment for the first time and it really felt like home.

The past two weeks have been filled with workdays at Doulos as we prepare for students to arrive tomorrow! The first week back we focused on our Slice. A Slice is a mini-expedition that the staff does each year about something on the island. Last year we learned about the sugar industry and visited a Haitian batay. This year we learned more about public education in the Dominican Republic. We spent a day doing research and visiting local public and private schools. The next day we visited a public school and did various service projects: painting chalkboards, making classroom signs, designing and painting a mural, pouring concrete, sharing ideas with teachers, cleaning and painting the basketball court, and reworking the lighting.
Lorraine and I painting chalkboards
Keren, Rachel, Me, Christin, Kate, and Heather
This was a blank wall at the start of the day - we have some very talented artists on our staff!
Our final day was spent brainstorming a final project for expedition. We decided on a teacher mentor program through providing materials, ideas, and training. This is the most amazing part to me – our entire staff devoted a day to making materials (language games, math manipulatives, posters, a training PowerPoint) for another school. I’ve always been so self-focused as a teacher at the beginning of school. What do I need to get done before kids arrive? However, our focus was completely on another school and how we could help them before their students arrive. I was reminded yet again how special Doulos is and what a blessing it is to be a part of this community.

Picking black raspberries....it was a slow start...
Thank for your continued support as I begin another year here. Please pray for our teachers and students with school starting tomorrow. Young Life will be starting back up in a few weeks and we will need a new space for Club – please join with me in praying for that space. Pray specifically that it will be centrally located and free of charge. I am so excited to have you partner with me on another year here. Please continue to stay in touch and send news from your corners of the world.


Combining of worlds in Fredericksburg - Jill, me, Meghan & Sara (both from the DR), Sam and Amanda


The NY girls - Jessie, Lynne, me, and Andrea
the lovely Bethann
One of my favorite people - Gretchen

But we finished strong!
Rachel, me, and Amanda
Much love and peace to you,
Sara