My Story...

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will be spending the next two years in the Dominican Republic and am excited to use this space to share news with you. God has placed a calling on my heart to venture out and teach in the mountains of the Dominican Republic at Doulos Discovery School. I will also be working with an outreach ministry, called Young Life. Please take some time to check out the links for both of these organizations. Thank you so much for partnering with me on this adventure!

5.14.2011

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all

So I'll stand
My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours

Hillsong United

I’m beginning to realize that my first year in Jarabacoa is coming to a close. Just one short year ago I had accepted a calling to come here and was beginning to tell people at home about the journey ahead. It’s hard to believe. So much has happened in your lives since I’ve been here… and so much has happened in my heart this year that I struggle to put it into words. My posts this semester have not been as regular as I would’ve liked them to be – and I think part of the reason is I just don’t know how to verbalize things sometimes.

Brokenness. Seems like a negative word at first; however, there is nothing sweeter. Real growth does not take place until the soil has been prepared. It continues with care and pruning. This year has been a time for the Lord to break into the deep parts of my heart that have been hidden unknowingly. I can truly rejoice in the brokenness I have felt this year. “So I’ll stand with arms high and heart abandoned in awe of the One who gave it all.”

Doulos – Four weeks left until graduation on June 11th! It continues to be a busy time of year (as any teacher anywhere knows).  :) The big news – we just completed our official ACSI accreditation visit and all signs point to Doulos being an accredited school for the 2011-2012 school year! We will find out officially in July. This is a huge step for the school and a LOT of work has gone into making this happen. Very exciting. In these last few weeks of school, I hope to soak up the time with my kids. They have worked so hard and I’m finding myself realizing how much I’m going to miss them over the summer.

Young Life – YL is also coming to a close for the semester. We have Club this Tuesday where Tim will give the Cross Talk. Please pray that kids would be excited to come and hear the message. We will have one more Club and then be finished for the semester. The Lord has blessed our time with high school folks this year. I’ve enjoyed being able to pick up girls in my car to have more frequent hang out times. I will be sad to leave for the summer.

I am excited to see all of you, though! I will be in the States for about 6 weeks this summer, mostly in VA and NY. I can’t wait to give hugs all around! I feel as though you have been on this journey with me and I can’t wait to see your faces. I truly would not be here without you and I hope you know how deeply I feel that.

love and peace,
sara