My Story...

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will be spending the next two years in the Dominican Republic and am excited to use this space to share news with you. God has placed a calling on my heart to venture out and teach in the mountains of the Dominican Republic at Doulos Discovery School. I will also be working with an outreach ministry, called Young Life. Please take some time to check out the links for both of these organizations. Thank you so much for partnering with me on this adventure!

3.19.2013

Community

“Your ways, O God, are holy.
What god is so great as our God?
You are the God who performs miracles;
you display your power among the peoples.”
Psalm 77:  13-14

Hannah
Many of you know that some dear friends here recently had some complications with the birth of their daughter.  Hannah was in need of care that could not be provided at the hospital, here in the DR.  As I watched my friends from the outside and prayed with them, I was amazed at how clearly the Lord shifted pieces of the puzzle.  Many of you, who don’t know the Byker family at all, came forward with information, prayers, finances, offers to help...  We are all so connected and I was moved to tears often because of your generosity and concern for my friends whom you do not know personally.  One of the biggest hurtles for the Byker family was not having U.S. insurance...In less than 24 hours, they had over $50,000 donated from people all over the world to contribute toward hospital costs and Med Evac.  Then, CHOP (in Philadelphia) took them on as a charity case and they are now safely in Philly getting top care for Hannah.  I share this with you for a few reasons.  So many of you followed along with Hannah’s story via my Facebook page as I reposted Joe’s updates and I thought you might be interested to know a little more.  Also, it is stunning and awesome to watch the Lord make a way.  Psalm 77 says, “  You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples.”  If you would like to continue hearing about Hannah and how you can help the Byker family, you can visit their website at: 

Young Life 
WyldLife Camp and Work Crew
Last weekend, another Young Life leader and I took five high school Doulos students to Pico Escondido to be part of the Work Crew for Wyldlife Camp.  It was our first ever Work Crew experience together and it was awesome.  From Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon, we cooked, washed dishes, cleaned bathrooms, washed dishes, chopped vegetables, peeled garlic, washed dishes, swept floors, washed dishes, served smores, washed dishes, ran a County Fair carnival, and washed dishes.  Before and during the weekend we talked about what it means to be a servant and honoring God with our service.  It was so much fun to be with this small group for three days.  It was also such an encouraging time because our Young Life team volunteered to be at camp for the weekend - 2 of us as Work Crew bosses, 2 on Work Crew, 1 on Program, 1 in the cabin with middle school boys (oh my...), and 1 as a superstar volunteer available for whatever needed to be done.  I am so encouraged by the people that I live and serve with daily.  It’s amazing to see people live like Christ and be His hands and feet.

Here are a few pictures from our latest shenanigans in YL...
Curt and I hosting (in gold!) Dominican Idol for YL Karaoke Night
**the sound system "failed" and Emily had to sing from an iPod
She rocked it!

Kate finishing her number from the iPod

The winners...

Jedely, Karen, and I


Doulos 
My parents have made the comment that Doulos is a special place.  Doulos is the hub of all that is swirling around - the good, the challenging, the joys, the relationships, the academics, the celebrations...the list goes on.  This semester is flying by and we are almost ready to celebrate with another Expedition Night.  The third grade is exploring Ancient Egypt, fourth grade is comparing Incan life with Dominican life, and fifth grade is  experiencing Immigration. Below are a few pictures from Revolution (our bi-weekly all-school Friday gathering) this semester.

Third grade

Teachers vs. Students
Danae vs. Rony
(racing to get the scarf first without getting tagged)

Natalie vs. Saul


Friends, as always, thank you so much for your continued support.  Please continue to pray for the Byker family and for the Doulos community.