My Story...

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will be spending the next two years in the Dominican Republic and am excited to use this space to share news with you. God has placed a calling on my heart to venture out and teach in the mountains of the Dominican Republic at Doulos Discovery School. I will also be working with an outreach ministry, called Young Life. Please take some time to check out the links for both of these organizations. Thank you so much for partnering with me on this adventure!

9.09.2014

The Rutba House

Hey there friends!

So, this will most likely be my final post on this blog.  Many of you have been asking, "What's next after the Dominican Republic?"  At first I wasn't sure, but in the last few months some things have fallen into place that I would love to share with you.

Leaving the DR wasn't easy.  Yes, there were many things to look forward to - family, old friends, familiar grounds, familiar ways... Yet, the DR had become my home for 4 years and the unfamiliar had become familiar.  So, as I return to the States, I find that the familiar is now slightly unfamiliar.  So, leaving the DR has not been easy.

But, I am confident that I am walking in the right direction and a new opportunity arose this summer.  The Rutba House in Durham, NC.  I felt a strong desire to transition back to the States slowly and discern my place here.  For a long time, I felt living overseas was the long-term goal... yet, I've now "completed" that vision in my 30s.  So now, what?  Well, for now, The Rutba House.

What is The Rutba House?  It is an intentional Christian community.  Intentionally caring for people within our community and neighborhood.  Here are a few articles if you are interested to know more...

http://jonathanmerritt.religionnews.com/2013/11/14/recovering-discipline-hospitality-interview-jonathan-wilson-hartgrove/

http://emerging-communities.com/tag/rutba-house/

I have committed living in the Rutba House for this next year and feel that it is a gift of time and space to discern what's next as I transition back.  I am engaged in something meaningful through the community as I search for work.  I would love to be able to find a position in Outdoor Education, but in the meantime am willing to work in any position that would engage me with the community of Durham - coffee shops, bakeries, gardens, schools, etc.  If you know of any opportunities in Durham, let me know!  I look forward to this year of learning.  Learning from new people in my house and community.  And learning a new skill in a new job.

If you find yourself in the Durham area, please come visit!  Or if you would like to plan a visit, there is a guest room in my house!  Thank you, thank you, thank you for sticking with me on this journey for these past four years.  I'm not sure if you'll ever grasp just how deeply thankful I am for you.  Please stay in touch.

Much love and peace to you,
Sara