My Story...

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will be spending the next two years in the Dominican Republic and am excited to use this space to share news with you. God has placed a calling on my heart to venture out and teach in the mountains of the Dominican Republic at Doulos Discovery School. I will also be working with an outreach ministry, called Young Life. Please take some time to check out the links for both of these organizations. Thank you so much for partnering with me on this adventure!

2.06.2011

A new semester

“You are like light for the whole world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid. No one lights a lamp and puts it under a bowl; instead it is put on the lampstand, where it gives light for everyone in the house. In the same way your light must shine before people, so that they will see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven.”

Matthew 5: 14-16

Hello!

I have just returned from a yearly women’s retreat held here in Jarabacoa at the Catholic Retreat Center. I am feeling refreshed from the time spent in a quiet part of the town admist the beauty of the Lord’s creation. The above verses from Matthew were assigned to me at the beginning of the weekend for reflections. At first, I did not bond with these verses. But the Lord opened a deep part of my heart that has been hidden from even me. My people-pleaser personality has kept me, at times, from truly worshipping our King. Without realizing it, I have focused more on the people around me than the calling on my heart. I experienced beautiful worship this weekend and as cheesy as it sounds, I hope to let my light shine a little brighter.

The start of the second semester has been a busy one! The big news – I am now living in an apartment with two other teachers, Rachel and Lorraine. We moved two days after returning to the country! It was quite the whirlwind! Rachel is a first grade teacher and Wyldlife leader (Young Life’s middle school ministry) and Lorraine is an English teacher and Accountant, as well as a Young Life leader. It’s great to share a house with other women interested in investing in kids’ lives. Already we’ve hosted our high school girls bible study (Campaigners) and will continue to do so every other week. Rachel hosted a middle school girls sleepover (I vacated to a friends house for the night!).  One of the high school girls came over last week after school and just hung out for a few hours. It has been wonderful to have our home open to the community here. Even though I miss my host family, our house is truly a blessing.

In the midst of moving, I was also able to join friends at the beach for a long weekend in January. We had a four day weekend with holidays here, and it was nice to have the time to go to the beach and relax with friends. It is really beautiful here this time of year.

Doulos. The semester started January 11 and things are in full swing. A few of my ESL kids have moved back to being with their classroom teacher. Yay! One of those kids is Priscila from the video I posted a couple of weeks ago.  February should be a fairly normal month for school, which I am looking forward to! I like meeting with my kids consistently. Then, in March, I am looking forward to Work Week, when all grades take three days to serve the community in various ways.

Young Life. We had our first Young Life club two weeks ago and started off with a bang. We gave away a summer camp scholarship for the high school student who arrived wearing the most t-shirts. Melisa won with 47 shirts! It was a fun night. Please pray for our next club this coming Tuesday, February 8.
Also, I have been praying for a few months about purchasing a car here. It was not in my original plan to buy a car; however, after arriving and living the first semester here I can see how much this culture depends on transportation. If kids don’t have rides, then just won’t come to things even if they are within walking distance. Because of this, I began contemplating trying to buy a car. I have some extra funds in my account at the moment and am feeling led to use them towards buying a car. Would you pray with me on this? I don’t just want a car to have a car, but rather one that is big enough to pick up kids for club and campaigners, to transport food for the Young Life leaders, to take the sound equipment to and from Young Life and Wyldlife club… My budget is on the smaller side, so I am praying for an SUV that can handle the roads here and is in good shape. I’ll keep you posted!

I think that is it for now. It was great to see some of you last month… and really sad to miss others of you. I do think of you SO often and look forward to hearing the latest from you.

Much love and peace,
sara