My Story...

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will be spending the next two years in the Dominican Republic and am excited to use this space to share news with you. God has placed a calling on my heart to venture out and teach in the mountains of the Dominican Republic at Doulos Discovery School. I will also be working with an outreach ministry, called Young Life. Please take some time to check out the links for both of these organizations. Thank you so much for partnering with me on this adventure!

8.02.2010

Arrival

Buenos Dias!

Well, this is my first post as a blogger. :) It’s hard to believe I’m actually here. Since May it’s been a whirlwind of end of school activities, a good friend’s wedding, moving out of our house, a tonsillectomy/recovery, great fun at family beach week, seeing friends and family, and packing up for the move. Whew! It started to sink in on the flight to Miami that it was actually happening. Then on the flight from Miami to Santiago, panic and fear started to creep in. However, I also had time to reflect on all the Lord has done to get me to this moment in just a few short weeks. It really is amazing.

My first couple of days in Jarabacoa has been very rich and full. A small group of us were on the same flight from Miami, so it was good to navigate the Santiago airport with them. I spent the first two nights with a great couple, Whitney and Tim, who both work at Doulos. They graciously opened their home to me and have made me feel very much a part of things. The body of Christ is evident in the way people interact and care for one another. I’m looking forward to being a part of the community here. I attended my first Spanish speaking church service Sunday morning and was once again moved by the way God transcends all language barriers. It was a beautiful service with Caribbean breezes blowing throughout.

Monday will be my first day of training at Doulos Discovery. I saw the school today and the grounds are just gorgeous. I’m looking forward to getting started. Most of the staff has arrived, and just like the schools in the States, the teachers are ready! I will also meet my host family tonight and see where I will be living for the next little bit!

Please be praying for me and the rest of the new staff as we not only adjust to living in a new town with new friends and a new job… but also a new language and a different way of doing things. New routines need to be formed and it is easy to wish for days past. However, on the other side of the coin, it is a rich process to be stretched and challenged. A beautiful, messy, exciting process.

I hope to post pictures soon. Be sure to stay in touch from your end. I miss you! For my VA friends – I think the DR might actually be slightly cooler at the moment… I’ll let you know after I’m here for a few more days. :)

Adios!

Sara